Series: An Exposition of Ephesians
Series: An Exposition of Ephesians
Title: Spiritual Armor, / The Belt of Truth, pt. 4, “Lies Against God’s Veracity”
Text: Ephesians 6:14a
Purpose: In this lesson, we learn that: To stand firm against the enemy, a Christian must gird himself with the belt of truth to defend himself against the lies
of Satan against God’s veracity.
Speaker: Bishop Jake Givan, Jr., D. Min
Date: September 17, 2017
1. Truth is that which is according to reality as determined by actual facts, not perceptions.
2. There is a God who is true and has communicated that truth to us in the Bible
II. The Importance of Truth
1. Truth is paramount to life having meaning beyond the moment and beyond yourself
2. The materialist squander relationships & the eternal for things what will burn. (Eccl. 2:18-19; Mt. 16:26)
3. The Belt of Truth holds everything together and provides a place for the sword of the Spirit
III. The Devil’s Lies
1. The devil is a liar and the father of lies. His lies are ultimately against the character & nature of God.
2. God is infinite with respect to time, space, knowledge, power and rule.
3. Atheistic philosophies purposely deny God’s existence despite the obvious evidence (Romans 1:18-32).
4. Evolution is not scientific because it is not observable, testable or repeatable. Change evolution.
5. All false religions are based on Satan’s lies against God’s nature and character.
6. The cults pay attention to the doctrine of demons (1 Tim. 4:11) and tickle the ears of people (2 Tim. 4:3-4).
7. The cults usually deny either Jesus’ deity or humanity and always His sufficiency.
IV. Lies Against God’s Veracity
1. We fall prey to Satan’s lie against God because we project our own characteristics on Him.
2. Satan could not attack God’s existence, power or sovereignty to Eve, so he slandered God’s character.
3. Satan’s question in Genesis 3:1 was a suggestion that God was not wise.
4. Satan directly contradicted God in telling Eve she would not surely die (Genesis 3:4).
5. Satan slanders God’s wisdom and goodness in saying that eating the fruit would make Eve like God.
V. Satan’s Attacks Against the Bible
1. Satan attacks the Scriptures to keep people from coming to the truth and to hinder the Christian’s faith
Lie #1 Satan directly attacks the Scripture when he claims it is the work of men and not of God.
2. Colossians 2:8 warns the believer about human pride and foolishness of philosophy & traditions.
Lie #2 Satan attacks the Bible in claims that there is another superior revelation to the Bible.
Lie #3 Satan attacks the Bible in claims that only a particular book or an institution can properly interpret the Bible
Lie #4 Satan attacks the Bible in claims that the “leading of the Spirit” is apart from or superior to the Bible
3. The Spirit of God is always in harmony with the Word of God and never contradictory
4. “Higher criticism” attacks the divine origin of the Bible and makes it something without certainty
VI. The Bible’s Claim
1. The Bible either is or is not true and it should be rejected or accepted on the basis of truth.
2. The Bible claims to be God’s word, “God said” or an equivalent occurs 1,130 times in the Old Testament.
3. Jesus said “Thy Word is truth” (John 17:17), quotes many books directly and cites all of it as Scripture.
4. The Apostles reference most Old Testament books in their writings.
5. Jesus and the apostles present the New Testament as the word of the Lord - Hebrews 1:1-2; 2 Peter 3:1-2
6. Jesus claims to be giving direct revelation from God – John 14:10f; John 12:48-50.
7. The Apostles claim to be speaking God's revelation – Gal. 1:11-12; Rev. 1:1; 2 Peter 3:1-2, 15-16
8. Paul claims All scripture is inspired by God (2 Tim. 3:16-17)
9. Peter says men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God (2 Pet. 1:19-21).
VII. Bible Translations
1. Satan attacks the Bible by skewing it or perverting it through poor translations and study editions.
2. Very good English translations include the KJV, NKJV, NAS and the ESV.
3. Some translations are bad because of poor language scholarship while others are purposely mistranslated
4. Paraphrases and loose translations interject much interpretation making them poor translations
5. Poor translations mislead people about what God has actually revealed about Himself.
6. Claims that the KJV is the only true Scripture detracts from the Bible as being true
7. The KJV is a 1769 update of the 1611. The “Textus Receptus” was not compiled until 1633.
8. Satan seeks to turn people away from God by lying about God’s veracity and in particular about the Bible
Come Worship With Us
Lithonia, Georgia 30058
PO Box 763 Redan Ga 30074